List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Remove group by metacontact
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2003-11-05 12:30:46

On November 05, 2003 04:55 am, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Personally I would like to have a single chat _VIEW_ (not window!) per meta
>  contact. Does anyone want the distinction between the various contacts in
> a meta contact, other than perhaps an icon that can be part of the XSLT
> style?
> --
> Martijn

Do you mean if you are talking to a guy in MSN and he then msgs you via a query
on IRC you want it appended into the same KMM?

Interesting idea.... except

1. Right now only Keramick is using the ProtocolIcon feature. This could be dealt with

2. Where do you get this icon? The icons are created dynamically with coloring effects, and
if you were doing this you'd certainly need to differentiate between the contact on MSN@Home
and on MSN@Work, which would likely be colorized differently.

3. Which account decides things like titlebar icon, titlebar title, online status etc?

4. Does he show twice in the members list? Probably not I suppose

5. If 4 is not true, and the view is "unified", then which account do things like User Info and
File->Send use?

Other than that I think it could be neat...or it could be a disaster...

But it'd be such a drastic departure from common behaviour that I think we'd kind of need to
do some kind of a case study with users to see if they felt this was too strange. I wouldn't feel
comfortable doing something this radical without such a case study or user survey or something...

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org