List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: kdenonbeta/kopete/libkopete
From:       Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj () pointblue ! com ! pl>
Date:       2003-07-06 19:46:51

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Matt Rogers wrote:

> On Sunday 06 July 2003 02:21 pm, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
> >
> > Does it do any harm ? It is very good thing, imho. Account can provide
> > this way string that - in human readable form - gives full information
> > about protocol, account ID and nickname.
> >
> I disagree here. While it doesn't do any harm, per se, I don't understand why
> we need this when we have the icon to tell them what protocol it is, and then
> we can have the tooltip be whatever is returned by accountID, eliminating the
> need for the fullAccountName method in the public API.
I told you allready, becouse I want to display some more information !
for god sake, there is need for that. Maybe not in your plugin, but in
gadu for sure and in jabber fe.
I want to display reason beside of status, i want to give an information
about nick name and protocol - becouse it is usefull information.
Maybe not protocol name it self, but anyway.
I will not remove it, but if it is not a good thing for you - please write
something that will give information to user about status (text status),
uin and nickname

> > This adds no harm to anything, and is needed to display information fe. in
> > tooltip. And can be used by plugin it self to generate header of anything
> > that requires that information.
> It's another useless, unneeded public API method, IMO.
It does not change anything, you don't have to use it.

> > We can add callback for tooltip, that will ask application for string each
> > time it want to be displayed. But do you want that ?
> That would defeat the purpose. Besides, callbacks are not very C++ish. :P
I hate callbacks, and this will be total disaster - that is why i did that
with fullAccountName();

> > This does not break API.
> > I have no reason to revert this, i even think it is very good idea to
> > implement this function in each plugin. Small and do something usefull.
> No, it doesn't break API, but it adds another unneeded function. I don't think
> it's a good idea to implement this in the each plugin. Give me two good
> examples of what we could use this for in plugins (other than the way you've
> used it in Gadu, which I don't see the point of).
Kopete can use this to display more information about account it self, fe
in chat box or others (maybe some which don't exists yet).

> > This is one step further to make kopete userfriendly
> How would this be anymore user-friendly than what we already have?
Bullshit, one of the reasons i joined kopete team was lack of
userfilendliness. And this is not only my opinion.

--
GJ