List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: kdenonbeta/kopete/libkopete
From:       Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj () pointblue ! com ! pl>
Date:       2003-07-06 19:32:09

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Matt Rogers wrote:

> On Sunday 06 July 2003 02:13 pm, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 July 2003 17:13, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz wrote:
> > > CVS commit by gj:
> > >
> > > Adding virtual QString fullAccountName() const; method to kopeteAccount
> > > class. This will, among probably other use - will be used as status icon
> > > tooltip text. It _DOESN'T_ break the API. By default (if not implemented)
> > > it returns accountId();
> > >
> > > (...)
> > >
> > > +QString KopeteAccount::fullAccountName() const
> > > +{
> > > +    return accountId();
> > > +}
> >
> > I still don't see why you want this.
> >
> > Why not use the same thing everywhere? Why would an account need to provide
> > its own implementation?
> >
> > Personally I'd rather see you revert this :(
>
> Yes, I agree. To me this serves no purpose other than to clutter the API. In
> your use of it in the gadu-gadu protocol the only thing that it does is add
> gadu-gadu to the front of the accountId() returned by the default
> implementation of fullAccountName.  IMO, users are going to know what the
> protocol is by it's icon and if they need to know the account name, they'll
> hover over the icon in the status bar and wait for the tooltip showing the
> accountId.
wrong, wrong, wrong.
How about - you want to display status ?
In some protocols you can type your own status (jabber, gadu).
How about you want to show nickname as well ?

You cannot tell me this is not necessary. I do not want to polute API
either. This is something that is necessary to show proper tooltip
message.

Where is about you know what you have, i doubt that.
If you want to remove this, please give me another way to format tooltip
message.

And where is about what i display now. This will change, becouse i have to
add nick per account.

It is easy to just tell me that there is no need to have this function,
please think about what you can put under one function and benefit from
that.

Userfriendly means also - give user an information, clear information.
This is one step more to be more userfriendly. You cannot deny that.

--
Gj