List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: kdenonbeta/kopete/libkopete
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-07-04 8:56:06

On Friday 04 July 2003 03:56, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> I have heard this before and never really understood it. Isn't an SMS user
> always "online", just as an E-Mail user would be? They will always
> eventually get the message...

Right. But it's the "eventually" that makes it unknown.

Remember that IM stands for INSTANT messaging. If it's not instant but ends up
somewhere in a queue to be 'eventually read' it's still messaging but no
longer instant messaging.

As such the instant protocols have precedence over non-instant like SMS.

However, SMS *might* be instant (if the recipient has his or her phone turned
on), whereas ICQ offline NEVER is. As such SMS is more important than ICQ
offline, but less important than ICQ online/away/etc.

Ergo, Unknown is more important than Offline. It always was, always will be,
and I always designed it to be.

--
Martijn