List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [Kopete-devel] Re: kdenonbeta/kopete/libkopete
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-29 18:54:43

> This was caused in some fashion by your commit yesterday, and none of us
> knows enough about the process to fix it, and kopete is now unuseable, so
> makes finding/fixing any other bugs impossible. Seems to me these commits
> were awfully drastic to be done 2 days before a major code freeze.

Well, all documentation about QT_NO_CAST_ASCII states the same: it prevents
automatic casting from char* to QString and vice versa and nothing more.

Thus, setting QT_NO_CAST_ASCII should cause a one-time compile error which I
fixed yesterday and should otherwise be completely transparent.

Also, code written for QT_NO_CAST_ASCII is 100% compatible (and identical) to
code written without it, though the other way round isn't necessarily true.

Therefore, removing the QT_NO_CAST_ASCII in libkopete and make clean and make
all (make clean is required as files are not recompiled if you only change
CXXFLAGS!) should instantly make things work again.

That doesn't solve the real issue though, the question why apparently not all
uses of char* caused a compile error.

It's that issue that seriously bothers me and I have no clue what may cause
it.

For now I suggest you to revert the QT_NO_CAST_ASCII in Makefile.am while I
try to find out locally. That should at least get all of you up to speed
debugging the rest.

--
Martijn