List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: kdenonbeta/kopete/protocols/icq_new
From:       Nick Betcher <nbetcher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-02 4:02:47

On Friday 01 November 2002 07:09 pm, Andy Goossens wrote:
> On Thursday 31 October 2002 15:21, Nick Betcher wrote:
> > CVS commit by nbetcher:
> >

> > This fixes the compilation errors here. Kudos goes to Andy Goossens and
> > Dominique Devriese (for trying). This is slightly different from Andy's
> > patch because it accounts for utf8 messages, nicknames, and groups (I
> > hope the ICQ server supports utf8 nicks and groups, although it seems it
> > does).
>
> Thanks Nick (for trying) ;-)
>
> ICQ messages now end up with weird characters due to the wrong encoding.
> e.g. send "àbûüçèé" and you will get "à bûüçèé"
> Receiving is OK

That's probably due to your encoding. It makes no sense that latin1() would
result in functional messages. UTF8 preserves the proper encoding for
extended characters (including double wide characters). Latin1 only supports,
you guessed it, latin based characters. My patch is correct, but maybe we
need a way to select the encoding ASAP?