List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] capabilites design
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-16 19:34:50

On Sunday 16 June 2002 20:42, Christopher Young wrote:
> 1.  Yahoo sends messages to tell you when the user is typing a message, so
> some sort of status might be needed for that if Yahoo support is ever to
> come (which is a must for me as I use Yahoo as my primary IM).  It would be
> nice is Kopete already had this in place somehow so that someone writing a
> Yahoo plugin could utilize it.

MSN has that too and I kinda miss it in Kopete ;-)

But currently there are much more urgent (read: API) issues to solve, so for
me this has to wait. Patches are welcome, but I think the new contact list
and a more mature KMM implementation are sort of required to get this
implemented decently.

> 2.  I don't think this falls under the topic at hand, but automatic spell
> checking would be cool using kspell or something :)

Definitely a Kopete plugin. After the contact list the plugin architecture is
the main point of focus I think and then this one can hopefully be
implemented. It can already be done now using hacky hooks, so feel free to
start one. There is no sane API for it yet, so you will be living on unstable
class headers if you do this though.

> 3.  Basic email notification would be cool (POP, IMAP, Local), but I know
> that there are many other apps that do this.  It's just that the bubble
> notification and everything in Kopete is so cool!  t does appear that the
> kde-usability people are working on integrating this into the rest of KDE.
> :)

I agree here that this is not really Kopete's playground. MSN has builtin
notification for hotmail accounts, which might be useful to have, but I'm
inclined to use the DCOP interface of an existing tool for that and have
Kopete only signal it, but not actually handle it in the GUI. I don't have a
hotmail account myself, so I cannot even implement it without others to test
it ;-)

> Anyway, I really LOVE that you guys are building this app.  It has alot of
> potenial and once Yahoo support is in it, it will be my primary IM client.
> Althought right now, I can't get the AIM plugin to even connect which is
> weird.  I eagerly await each release to see how things evolve!

The Yahoo plugin won't develop itself, it takes coders to do this. Bruno
already indicated that he has very little time and none of us exactly has
spare time. Therefore help is more than welcome! If you're not a coder, or
simply don't have time then apologies, but otherwise please consider working
on the plugin. :-)

Martijn