List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Skins for 0.5?
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-29 18:54:34

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 18:51, Hendrik vom Lehn wrote:
> > If you want simple stuff, the tab order of the widgets in the MSN prefs
> > dialog needs fixing, and the 'add contact' stuff needs a serious redesign
> > as well. More GUI problems are easy to find as well I think.
>
> No thanks. I did some fixes like these and they are really ugly (removing 2
> lines, compiling 10minutes ...)

Don't underestimate the value of those usability fixes! They make the
difference between a decent and a terrific application. The details really
make the app, not the overall picture, that's only for the first impression.

> > And the emoticon support should change. What I would like is to have
> > emoticon 'sets', like 'Kopete', 'Trillian', 'MSN', 'Yahoo', etc, that can
> > enabled by the user. The order in which they are listed determines which
> > emoticon takes precedence.
>
> Why? The normal emotiocons like ;) or sth like this work and the codes from
> icq (i don't know the other protocols) work too.

But if I chat with a real MSN user and expect '*foo*' to show up in bold, or
'>:-)' to show a devilish grin I am in for a nasty surprise, because that's
not gonna happen. So either Kopete needs to translate to 'native' smileys and
back, or have custom smiley sets, or both.

Martijn