List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [Kopete-devel] Re: [kopete] using proxies with yahoo
From:       Bruno David =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sim=F5es?= Rodrigues <bruno.rodrigues () litux ! org>
Date:       2002-05-09 17:27:23

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 13:53, Con Hennessy wrote:
> Bruno David Simões Rodrigues wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 10:57, Con Hennessy wrote:
> > > [resending due to the fact kde.org does not seem to "like" email coming from the mail.com domain!!]
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >         I'm trying to use a very recent snapshot of kopete which has support for
> > > yahoo. I am behind a firewall and therefore need to use a proxy, and I can
> > > see no way to tell kopete what my proxy is !
> > > Do I have to manually set the proxy, or is the same proxy which is used by
> > > konqueror used ?
> > > manually setup the proxy for each one, is there any reason that the
> > > konquroe one cannot be taken as default ( still allowing the user to
> > > change this in kopete ) ?
> > > Also when I installed and started kopete, it insisted on assuming that
> > > I wanted to use MSN, but then when it started using MSN it blocked
> > > waiting for a response.
> > > I think that the following would be a good change in usage :
> > >   if no protocol is selected ( i.e. at first startup ), then open
> > >         then config dialog box on protocols;
> > >   when a protocol is selected, add it to the list in the config side bar
> > >         ( currently I have to select the protocol then "apply" or "ok"
> > >         and then configure it ).
> > >   if a protocol is selected but not initialized it tries to make a connection
> > >         (even with NULL data ) which in my situation causes kopete to
> > >         hang waiting for a response!
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Con Hennessy
> >
> > Sorry. I've been filled with work besides some patches in kannel
> > (www.kannel.org) and I haven't got time to continue the yahoo patch.
> >
> > Besides, I'm coding the new login method in it, and that's taking me
> > some more time.
>
> Have you thought about using libyahoo [ http://sourceforge.net/projects/libyahoo/ ] ?
> It seems that these guys have done alot of work on the protocol.

Nope, libyahoo is still protocol version 1, without notify and it
doesn't work in some countries.

> Also a description of the protocol seems to be available here :
> http://www.venkydude.com/articles/yahoo.htm

And this is version 2 and the login is already not working on india.

I had a full patch to kopete to version 2 with status and message
send/receive, against a copy of jabber directory, but I've decided to
really learn the kopete architecture and start from the beginning
(well, I'm still copying from jabber, but method by method and seeing
how it works).

Then I got access to new login code, but I still had no time to convert
it from c (gtk) to c++ (kde).

> I do not have a huge amount of time but is there any small jobs you think
> that you need help with ?

Please give me some more time to recode the base (message send and
receive) and then I'd apreciate help with kopete architecture,
especially the new KMM patches