List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    [Kopete-devel] Re: [kopete] using proxies with yahoo
From:       Con Hennessy <con () lucent ! com>
Date:       2002-05-09 12:53:14

Bruno David Simões Rodrigues wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 10:57, Con Hennessy wrote:
> > [resending due to the fact kde.org does not seem to "like" email coming from the mail.com domain!!]
> >
> > Hi all,
> >         I'm trying to use a very recent snapshot of kopete which has support for
> > yahoo. I am behind a firewall and therefore need to use a proxy, and I can
> > see no way to tell kopete what my proxy is !
> > Do I have to manually set the proxy, or is the same proxy which is used by
> > konqueror used ?
> > >From a quick grep at the other protocols it seems that it is necessary to
> > manually setup the proxy for each one, is there any reason that the
> > konquroe one cannot be taken as default ( still allowing the user to
> > change this in kopete ) ?
> > Also when I installed and started kopete, it insisted on assuming that
> > I wanted to use MSN, but then when it started using MSN it blocked
> > waiting for a response.
> > I think that the following would be a good change in usage :
> >   if no protocol is selected ( i.e. at first startup ), then open
> >         then config dialog box on protocols;
> >   when a protocol is selected, add it to the list in the config side bar
> >         ( currently I have to select the protocol then "apply" or "ok"
> >         and then configure it ).
> >   if a protocol is selected but not initialized it tries to make a connection
> >         (even with NULL data ) which in my situation causes kopete to
> >         hang waiting for a response!
> >
> > Thanks
> > Con Hennessy
>
> Sorry. I've been filled with work besides some patches in kannel
> (www.kannel.org) and I haven't got time to continue the yahoo patch.
>
> Besides, I'm coding the new login method in it, and that's taking me
> some more time.

Have you thought about using libyahoo [ http://sourceforge.net/projects/libyahoo/ ] ?
It seems that these guys have done alot of work on the protocol.

Also a description of the protocol seems to be available here :
http://www.venkydude.com/articles/yahoo.htm

I do not have a huge amount of time but is there any small jobs you think
that you need help with ?

Con Hennessy

P.S. It's probably a good idea to add the kopete-devel alias to the "About" dialog
box in kopete.