List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] TODO
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-10 13:22:29

On Wednesday 10 April 2002 14:35, Andres Krapf wrote:
> here's a start, in no particular order...

(shuffled around a bit)

>  - framework
>   + better chatwindow, contact list functionality sharing among plugins

Ryan and I are currently working on exactly this.

>   + unified support for groups (icq can move users to any groups, but aim
> can't...)
>   + unified events - on message, on login/logout, on file transfer...
>   + global notification api and preferences (right now, only the icq plugin
> seems to use the balloons, and msn/aim pop up a window)

Those more or less boil down to the first issue: getting rid of the
_ridiculous_ amount of code duplication in all plugins so they'll all have
the same functionality and the same API, to the greatest extent possible. Of
course there are differences between protocols, like AIM/MSN not supporting
offline messages and ICQ not yet supporting contacts on the server, but with
a good API there should be no problem encapsulating that.

Will take quite some time to get straight, but it's definitely a major TODO
item, and is being worked on already.

>   + add sound support ?

Yup. Not for now if you ask me, though. If we want Kopete in KDE 3.1, this can
wait. Many of the other issues can't.

>   + support for file transfer (i don't know if this is really wanted yet)

Same. Todo item, and can also wait for 3.1. Of course someone may want to code
this now, but I wouldn't consider this prio at all...

>  - ui
>   + integrate patch for not quitting on close (when there's a way of
> quitting from the systray... what's the status of this ?)

Needs investigation. If someone has a concrete idea we could work on it...

>   + chatwindow like gaim's/trillian's (richtext + send hyperlink + emoticon
> menu + a few extras). maybe use the one from kinkatta, which is nice.

As soon as the new shared KopeteChatWindow class is used by the plugins we can
think about that. Doing it now would be mindless code duplication. Good idea
though.

>   + notify the user of events. either with sounds or blink something in the
> systray.

Yup.

>  - msn
>   + store the users locally

Yeah!!! Now the contact list is more or less using shared classes (Ryan, is
that true?) we could consider storing the contact list in a centralized
place. It shouldn't be too hard to add a QString serialize(); and void
deSerialize( const QString ); to the API and store the whole darn thing in a
single KConfig file.

>  - icq
>   + store users on server/icq2001b (although that's more of a kxengine
> item)

Is being worked on.

Thanks for this list! Seems a pretty nice list of (mostly short-term) items we
need to work on.

An item I'd like to add to the long-term goals:

+ Instead of allowing only a single instance of each protocol, allow multiple
instances. This would allow me to simultaneously connect to our intranet
Exchange server and the public MSN network for example, or to use a private
and a corporate account for whatever protocol. Or to make IRC just connect to
a single server per account, defining a second connection as a second
account, instead of putting all kinds of multi-server code inside the plugin,
again not sharing code.

Martijn