List:       konq-e
Subject:    Re: Newbie For KonE and plugin question
From:       "Paul Chitescu" <Paul.Chitescu () IMC-Group ! org>
Date:       2003-02-18 16:45:21

"Rujisak Lomfathai" <newbie_question@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, everyone. I'm just a newbie one for Kong/E and E-Linux world. I'm
> Using iPAQ + Opie and I want to try to use this as the browser. I dl the
> source already and I'm trying to develop my own app to use on my opie. My
> need in this app is like the browser that can Open another app on its
> provided area like open .pdf file. and I'm not sure how can I get
Netscape's
> Plugin to use like that.
>
> My question is:
> the KongE use this plugin API to call anther app on it??? If not , How
does
> it do, and where can I learn how to do????
>
> I need your help from everyone,
> Thank you very much,
> Rujisak L.

Konq/E cannot use Netscape plugins since these require an X server (they
interface with the X library) which does not exist in Qt/E based systems.
Furthermore, many Netscape plugins are available in binary, i386 only
format.

However you can implement plugins via the KParts mechanism. Please look at
the kflashpart or ksimplesound add-ons for a read-only part; kplaintext is
an example of a read/write part (a text editor). ksimplesound is also useful
as example on how to interface a plugin with Javascript.

Please search for development info on the KDE site. Usage of KParts is
explained very well. The Konq/E part model is a simplified one but it's
enough in most cases. In fact I have standalone KDE-2 projects whose src/
directory is exactly what you find in subdirectories under add-ons/ in
Konq/E.

Also note that in Konq/E all plugins are linked into the binary; we don't
have loadable modules since that would increase the overall size (it would
require breaking Konq/E into a shared library (or more) and an application -
lots of relocs).

Paul

--
 Paul Chitescu