List:       kolab-devel
Subject:    [Kolab-devel] A little help when you need to debug Kolab 2
From:       Matt Douhan <matt () fruitsalad ! org>
Date:       2004-08-13 18:55:22

Hello all

first of all, thanks Bernhard for taking the time to debug the other day :)

The things I learned from that I put into a small document, it may be the case
that it will benefit others in similar situations.

rgds

Matt

["debuggingkolab2.txt" (text/plain)]

Debugging the Kolab 2 Server

After spending many hours one day debuggin a problem I had with the Kolab 2 server I \
decided to put this together in order to aid others like me to debug problems.

Some of this information may be FreeBSD specific (location of syslog, etc) but never \
the less the concept should be easily adapted to your own OS.

1. in order to get debug output from the Kolab 2 server you will need to raise the \
log level from its default value to the new value of 100, this is done by editing the \
file /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab.globals and changin the log_level line to read "log_level \
: 100" this will make the Kolab server log debug messages to syslog.

2. To capture the debug output from step 1 I added the following line to my \
/etc/syslog.conf  "*.* /var/log/all.log"
make sure to touch /var/log/all.log and chmod it to mode 600 before it will work.

3. For good measures I restarted syslogd and kolab just to make sure the changes took \
effect, syslogd can be restarted by issueing the kill -HUP command to the running \
syslogd process.

Kolab I restarted using
/kolab/bin/openpkg rc all stop followed by /kolab/bin/openpkg rc all start

4. This is the basic setup to start debugging your setup, depending on your problem \
the next steps may vary from case to case but knowing the locations of log files will \
help so I will try and point you to the right direction.

5. The log files in Kolab are a bit distributed but by knowing where to look it will \
make life a lot easier, as a general rule they are all kept in /kolab/var/*/log/, \
where * can be kolab, apache, imapd or any other part of Kolab.

6. Other useful tools are as follows:

If your problem is creating mailboxes and the error you are getting is \
ERROR=Permission Denied try to create a mailbox manually using cyradm, syntax is \
"/kolab/bin/cyradm -user manager -server localhost" use the manager password you \
assigned from the kolab_bootstrap to login. At the localhost.domain.com prompt try to \
add a mailbox manually "cm user/matt@domain.com" this will immediatly tell you if the \
problem still persists.

If creation of mailboxes have succeeded you should have your domain listed in \
"/kolab/var/imapd/spool/domain/"

If your problem seems to be LDAP related, use the "/kolab/sbin/slapcat" command and \
examine the output carefully.

7. Check the bugtracker at www.kolab.org to see if others have already reported your \
problem and might have a solution or a workaround for it, maybe a developer is \
already trying to solve the problemem, logging duplicates makes noone happy so please \
take the time to go through the list before logging a new bug.

8. If you are still unable to determine the problem, then collect all the information \
you can and send it to kolab-devel@kolab.org, always tell what version of Kolab you \
are using, if you are using Kolab2 always specify the date of the snapshots you are \
testing, for example "20040803"