List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice filters revisited
From:       Marko Samastur <m () aufbix ! org>
Date:       2001-09-05 23:06:33

Dne sreda 05 september 2001 00:56 je Nicolas Goutte napisal(a):
> On Tuesday, 4. September 2001 23:49, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Hmm, I remember that this was not a good idea because it won't get
> > you very far.
> > The user gets his document converted a number of times before it
> > hits the right filter which can make the desired format. This will
> > cause losses which are probably to great for any normal usage.
> > I don't think the solution of piping filters will help anyone beond
> > being able to read it (a bit). So basically I don't see an
> > advantage in working in that direction if the real (from a users
> > POV, only) solve will in the end be to have a dedicated filter
> > anyway.
>
> Yes. I second that.

I don't quite follow the reasoning. Having filters as small standalone
programs doesn't mean they can't be native (original) koffice filters.

In case they were written for koffice, it totally depends on them how
good or bad conversion is. Chaining them with filters from other
sources would certainly mean a degradation of transformation quality,
but I doubt you would use that if you had a native filter. I'd assume
chaining would be used when such filter doesn't exist and in those
cases at least to me it's still better to get output with missing
formating information than no output at all.

I also like the idea of standalone filters because they can make
scripting more lightweight and easy.

Please ignore this message if I just misunderstood what was talked
about.

Regards,

	Marko