List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KOScript & KSpread
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-23 10:51:41

Hi!

I thought I'll have some fun in the holidays and try to make
KOScript work with Unicode input and stuff like that. I started
to check the sources and now I have some questions:

1) What happens when someone transfers his KSpread files to a
   different country? Should we try to convert the time/money
   formats? (e.g. change "1.200,34" to "1 200.34" or so depending
   on the settings in KLocale or leave them as they are?
   Related to that is the question of scanning these literals, but
   that's "only" an implementation issue... I guess I can make that
   work with some more C code within the scanner.

2) Should it be possible to process Unicode strings? That means not
   only "=A1+A2" should work if these fields contain non-latin1 text,
   but also e.g '="Hallo"+A2' where "Hallo" is some unicode text.
   How to pass these strings around? UTF-8?
   flex isn't able to process Unicode (UCS-2) strings, but it should
   be possible to hack around that by passing UTF-8 and allow "real"
   UTF-8 only for string literals. Plain Expressions like =A1+A2 don't
   contain anything but ASCII so that should work, no?

3) (Mainly directed at Torben) Do we really want to do that?

   -[\n]			idl_line_no++;
   +[\n]			{ idl_line_no++; return T_SEMICOLON; }

   -","			return T_COMMA;
   -";"			return T_SEMICOLON;
   +";"			return T_COMMA;

   (A part of the diff between the KScript and the KOScript scanner)
   This really results in ugly syntax and incomprehensible limitations
   in the coding style (layout wise) :}

4) KSpread flickers a lot and it seems to do lots of useless updates.
   I didn't look into that yet, and I can't guarantee that I'll have
   time to do so. Comments?

5) KSpread shouldn't draw a cursor in a not active view. On deactivation
   it should just store the current position and restore it on activation
   again.

So before I start tearing KSpread apart I'd like to hear your comments
and suggestions ;)

Ciao,
Werner