List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: [Daniel.Vogelheim@germany.sun.com: Re: [office_standards] Structured file formats / Packaging]
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-08-16 17:55:48

The answer is YES, I'm interested in a standardized packaging format,
and yes, ZIP isn't a bad choice. I'm having headaches trying to use tar.gz
as a stream, which it wasn't meant to be (in particular, the TAR format requires
to know the size of the file in advance, which completely prevents streaming).

The only reason we're not using ZIP at the moment is that ...
well I don't know any libzip (analogous to libz and libbz2).

They say they are using ZIP already. How ? Can we share code ? That'd be great.

The compatibility isn't a big problem, it's easy to have code that reads
tar.gz and writes ZIP. The only thing is that a manual conversion (the other
way round) will be required to read a document with an older version of KOffice.

He's wrong about "we're the only ones interested in having files parsable
by common tools" - that's the whole reason why we're using tar.gz and not
a binary format anymore.

David.

--
David FAURE