List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice 1.1 Release
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-10 18:36:15

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

> However, right now, KOffice CVS HEAD cannot be compiled with kdelibs 2.2
> anymore! (Please look at attachment!)

Well, that was the idea behind branching ;)

> I do think that we should continue the policy of being able to use the last
> stable kdelibs, which for CVS HEAD should be kdelibs 2.2.

Well, now it works that way:
KOFFICE_1_1_BRANCH works with KDE_2_2_BRANCH kdelibs
HEAD koffice works with HEAD kdelibs

> I can understand that we are dropping kdelibs 2.1.x and that we choose to
> break the binary compatibility now (with QT3 in sight) rather than later, but
> I do not think that we should drop kdelibs 2.2 for KOffice CVS HEAD.

The point is that there are several advantages of doing it the way
we do it right now:
- Noone "messes" with KOffice 1.1 because she/he thinks it's unfrozen
  as the rest of KDE
- The KWord development can be done in HEAD again
- If someone just checks out HEAD CVS koffice compiles too :)

By having KOffice HEAD depend on kdelibs HEAD we have the advantage
that we can always adapt to the source incompatible changes. This
way the switch to Qt 3 will be easier as we don't have to port to
a new kdelibs and Qt 3 but just to Qt 3.

I know that this is not a perfect solution, but IMHO it's the
best we can choose right now.

Ciao,
Werner