List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Plans for the port of KPresenter to the new QRT stuff
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-07-02 15:54:39

On Monday 02 July 2001 22:36, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Monday 02 July 2001 12:52, David Faure wrote:
> |   On Monday 02 July 2001 19:45, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> |   > May I suggest libktext or librichtext?
> |   > As you described this library as very universal, it can be used in
> |   > other apps. (not only in KOffice)
> |
> |   Yes, that day we'll move it somewhere else... since it'll go into
> | koffice/lib for now, and have Ko in all the class names, I'd rather use a
> | koffice naming for it :)
> |   I also don't see why a non-office-suite app would need it. For a widget
> | to edit richtext, it should rather use QTextEdit (from Qt3 or knotes'
> | backport) Keep in mind that this stuff supports zooming, doc/view
> | separation etc. Typically the stuff for office suites only :)
>
> well, I still sticked to idea of web-konstructor, and it of course will need
> QTextEditor (WYSIWIG).
Not if it uses khtml (as kafka tries to do).

> Than imagine that lite version of it is embedded into KMail (or used as
> external editor for KMail). It's rather strange to make kdenetwork depending
> on KOffice.
> Quanta developers wanted to use QT Rich Text as well.
> Hey, a lot of people are interested in it! :-)

Yes, but they only need QTextEdit (e.g. from knotes or ksirc's backport).
They don't need styles, and zooming... the only problem is if they want a
document/view separation instead of just a widget.

> // and as "kate"/new kwrite doesn't work with Unicode at a moment (and will
> not work in KDE 2.2, as far as I know from developers), I think Kwrite
> rewrite using QT RichText is also not so bad idea.
Yup, that's the case where zooming isn't needed, but doc/view separation is.

If I implement a solution to get wysiwyg working, that's another thing that
those apps won't need....
I think "the right tool for the right job" is important.
Anyway, let me create the lib first, moving and renaming is nothing,
if one of those apps really wants to use it.