List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Z-Index for Frames (and other elements) in KWord, position:absolute for frames
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-13 19:43:01

On Wednesday 13 June 2001 11:56, David Faure wrote:
|   On Wednesday 13 June 2001 14:13, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > I think it will be very convinient to add
|   > Position: absolute [relative]
|   >  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
|   > to Frame format in KWord, and assigning Z-Index to each frame as well.
|
|   Hmm, my plan was to use a Z-index _internally_, but not to make it
| visible to the user. Just like in kpresenter and killu, you would use bring
| to front, bring to back and maybe (like in killu) back one step and up one
| step,
|   to change the order of the frames

It's ok IMO. And when you export z-index to HTML, it will be used by browser.
Anyway, I do not think that many people will look inside HTML code and
analyze z-index'es.

|   [this won't be in 1.1 after all, too much things to take into account,
| not worth breaking KWord now for that]

But this will be *addition*, no? (I don't see how you can break Kword by
this, especially 2 monthes before release)
If you import/read KWord document which doesn't have such info, you can
default to zero, or make increment for counter (i++) for each next frame.

Quark (producers or Quark Xpress) recently announced (on Seybold conference,
IIRC) that they are going to implement "one source - many media" strategy.
And allow customers to publish on the web from the same publication file they
publish magazines/newspapers.
My analysis of Adobe InDesign shows that they are still far away from this.
So, there is advantage for KWord / Koffice  :-)

If you look at HTML exported by Adobe InDesign, it assigns new DIV to each
paragraph, and makes separate frames as DIV's with absolute positioning and
different z-index.
Important points to be solved are:
-- in which points (of measurement) position elements on page.
-- how to export pages after 1st (2nd, 3rd, etc.)
 Adobe InDesign places <HR> after first page (also with different z-index),
and position in abolute coordinates next page. I have impression that this
can cause overflow in browser in big (>100 pages ) documents
BTW: it has option to export every page in separate file, it can be good
solution as well IMO.

Anyway, there is definetly a need for configuration dialog, and corrsponding
option in export filter.
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)