List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Future (KIllustrator, Karbon)
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-06-08 6:28:37

On Thursday 07 June 2001 15:32, Lenny wrote:
> Sorry, for spamming this list once more.

Hehe, don't be, your mails always bring good stuff ;)

> After finishing my degree i had a bit time again to work on karbon. In
> these screen-stots
> http://www.kudling.de/kde/karbon1.png
> http://www.kudling.de/kde/karbon2.png
> you can see proof-of-concept-implementation (meaning: it works but
> isn't optimized at all) of 2 (out of hundrets of) issues which i don't
> like about KIllustrator:
> a) dont scale handels while zooming
> b) ellipses and rectangles and stars and any-shape-you-can-think-of... are
> just paths and not special in any way.

Yes and it is good to mention here that the user will not really see a
difference in usage. If any it will mean he can suddenly do more with an
object.
Importing an circle from killustrator means you can
- keep it as an circle and later have a user-action to convert it to curves
- convert it on import.

I would think the latter is best, it would make KIllustrator more focused on
one kind of vector. And thus, with our limited set of  developers, it will
make development faster.

> I think now it's the right time (before i start to implement a gui and
> all these nasty algorithms) to think about this:
> should we merge karbon and killustrator or should we go seperate ways?
> The core-question is: "is KIllustrator meant to be a basic vector app or
> an app with advanced features which i _need_?"

Yes, I heard many people turn away from killustrator because it just could
not do the stuff you just shown here ;)
I'd say merge it into killustrator. But since I am not the maintainer...

--
Thomas Zander