List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    KoFilterManager re-entrancy (Re: KTempFile wierdness)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-30 22:03:00

On Thursday 31 May 2001 01:50, shaheed wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 May 2001 22:36, David Faure wrote:
> > ... Another solution would be to create a new kofiltermanager for each
> > conversion to be done. This might even be much simpler.
> > It's a singleton currently, but this makes only sense at the KoDocument
> > level (only one can get converted at a time...). Hmm, even that isn't
> > really true anymore, with out-of-process conversion (and a slow machine,
> > and a quick user :)
>
> I vote for this. In fact, sicne we don't have BC issues outside KOffice
> (yet), perhaps it would be best to fold KoFilterManagerPrivate's current
> members back into KoFilterManager at the same time?

Hmm, we try to keep BC from now on. There is k3studio out of CVS, and
possibly more apps we don't even know about. We had to break things before
beta 1, but since then we should keep BC. But ok, KoFilterManager is mostly
internal (to KoDocument and to the olefilter).

Anyway I don't even see why this is related. We can make KoFilterManager's
constructor public, without breaking BC. self() simply becomes deprecated.

> The only thing I am not sure about is the business of stacking dialogs. i am
> not quite sure what that means.

That's internal to the kofiltermanager instance. It's the "preview" widget
in the file dialog (which we don't use for previewing, but for selecting options).
Should be just fine with one per kofiltermanager.
Everything in there is related to ONE file conversion, there's nothing that is
"common to all file conversions done at the same time or at different times".
So one instance of KoFilterManager per conversion makes much sense IMHO.
(This will even save memory, no residual filter-manager in memory when no
conversion is happening).