List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Visio file format
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-05-21 17:24:59

> I want to import the stencils from Visio.  They have quite a few :)
>
> I've contacted Microsoft about giving me some documentations on the Visio
> file format.  Once they provide the necessary specification to the file
> format, importing can be quite easy.
>
> If not, I'll take screenshots of all Visio stencils, and do some cut and
> paste.  Then write .sml file to the cutted image.  Microsoft "shared source"
> philosophy allows me to share this amongst my peers.  So no legal issue here.

Please be very carefull about getting info from Microsoft, be very sure that
the info is free to use, and can be used for non-MS software.

If you receive information without the proper OK, I would like to advice you
to not even look at the info. You can never prove that you did not use the info
if you looked at it.  Don't underestimate the power of lawyers of a company that
is openly attacking things like the GPL.

OK, I am a bit paranoid, but I hope to be programming OSS for some more time ;)