List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: kword UI
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-04-18 8:24:58

On Wednesday 18 April 2001 09:30, aleXXX wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried the new kword :-)
Cool :)

> I had two problems with the UI.
> First I wanted to insert a killu vector graphic. I looked in insert and tried
> "insert picture", but it didn't work. I continued searching the menus, until
> actually the only thing left was "insert object", ok, now I found it.
> I would have expected something like insert -> insert vector graphic, or
> something like this. To emphasize that we embed a graphic from another app,
> it could also be named "embed vector graphic" (the same of course for tables
> and so on). IMO it shouldn't be that obvious for the user that he does
> something different when inserting a vector graphic as opposed to insert a
> picture.

The 'insert picture' you tried was misnamed, and has been renamed to
"insert picture as character" - or shaheed suggested "insert picture inline".
It's the HTML-like small image inline.

Something like Insert / 'vector graphic' would mean that we would insert
one menuitem per available KOffice part... Why not, but I'm not sure the
descriptions for that are available. From KIllustrator.desktop :
Name=KIllustrator
Comment=KDE Drawing Tool
Neither of those fits.

I don't want to hardcode app names that then will fail if the user doesn't
have those installed, or if we rename an app (e.g. kimageshop->krayon), etc.
So it has to be a bit dynamic and come from the .desktop files.

BTW in MSWord it's something like "Insert Object" too, to embed an object
from another app, very probably for the same reasons.

> The second problem was how to get rid of the inserted killu graphic again. I
> tried to position the cursor "behind" the killu frame and pressed backspace,
> still there. I did "select all", delete, still there. wrote some more text,
> selected everything by hand, delete, still there.
> Since I knew (from the mailinglists) that kword is "frame-oriented", I
> thought I might have to switch to "edit frames" mode first, I did it, and now
> I could delete it. It would be nice if it would be possible to select a frame
> also in "text edit" mode, e.g by dragging with the mouse or "select all".
> I don't know how hard this is to implement, I just wanted to give some
> feedback :-)

That's almost impossible, AFAICS. The frame isn't part of the text, it's on TOP
of the text.