List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    How should MsWord font names be translated to X?
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-04-09 1:09:17

KWord's MsWord filter needs to be able to convert Ms font names to something
plausible in X terms.

Based on some IRC input (mostly from KrazyKiwi - thanks Laurie!), I have
hacked up a function in:

koffice/filters/olefilters/winword97/document.cc::getFont

If anyone has suggestions, I would be pleased to see them. Note that it is
also desireable that this function can handle Mac->X mappings as well as
Windows->X mappings since MsWord exists on the Mac platform.

FWIW, I would prefer algorithms, or lookup tables rather than pointers to Web
sites as I have neither the expertise nor the time to do much research on
this!

Some notes:

1. The MsWord filter knows (approximately, at least) if the document comes
from a Mac.

2. This http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/manual/pages/font_face.html has some
info on Mac-PC mapping.

3. The MsWord filter won't yet do sensible things with the font name returned
by the above functions - but I expect this to change "Real Soon Now".

4. Please keep replies to koffice-devel@master.kde.org