List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: part of kformula
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-03-06 14:41:07

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 14:28, Ulrich Kuettler wrote:
> On Monday 05 March 2001 16:26, David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 05 March 2001 10:19, Ulrich Kuettler wrote:
> >
> > > Now we would like to know the needs of kword/kspread and whoever wants to
> > > use the lib. The question is how the interface should look like, whether
> > > there should be actions inside the lib and so on.
> >
> > Oh, forgot to comment on that.
> > I think actions would be a good idea - it would prevent each application
> > from having to define them. Of course it's still up to the application to
> > define those actions in its XML, but at least the action creation and
> > connections etc. would already be done in the lib (in some initialization
> > method).
> >

> Ok, I moved the specific actions into the lib. See
> KFormulaContainer::createActions. But what to do about the icons? Right now
> the icons are in the parts directory and it works.
The kformula-part's directory ?
It won't work if another app uses the lib then. Unless you add the kformula-part
directories to the "icons" resource when the lib is being used. IMHO that would
be the best solution.

> Does the framework look in the libs directory for the icons, too?
A "lib directory" makes no sense to KStdDirs. Only instances (apps and parts)
have directories.

> I don't want to move the part's icons
> because I want to use the old lib's ones which are already there.
Not sure I understand that sentence.

> Another thing: I wonder whether it is a good thing to have KFormulaWidget
> being a QWidget. It makes sense for the part but do you want to have a new
> widget for every formula in kword?
No, I don't think we want that in KWord. We want the formula to be painted
(either by KWFrameSet's drawContents or by qrichtext's custom item method),
it will be much faster, and smoother when scrolling (widgets have to be
repositionned in that case, it would really look awful).
You can have a QWidget in the lib, of course - although I think it belongs
to the part - but there should also be a way to use formulas directly...

I won't have time to integrate kformula in KWord any time soon - getting
the basis of KWord to work is obviously more urgent. But I'd be glad if
you had a look, based on the suggestions I gave before on this list.
(The more I think about it, the more it seems that QTextCustomItem is the way
to go for formulas in KWord). If you don't, I'll take care of that, but not
anytime soon.