List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Advice needed: Data bases and KOffice integration for literature management program
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-02-28 0:02:50

On Tuesday 27 February 2001 23:43, Pascal A. Niklaus wrote:
> [....]
> 2) KWord integration:
> The program should ideally integrate into KWord. The way such a program is
> used is that, during writing of a text, the user looks up the data base for
> articles to cite, selects some of them, and then somehow pastes the
> selected citations into the text being written. The citations are first
> stored as a kind of special field, and converted to the desired format once
> the text is written. The format depends on the journal the text is written for.
> A minimal solution would be to paste plain text codes into the KWord
> document, and to parse the XML document KWord generates and to replace the
> text codes by the formatted citations. However, a *real* integration would
> of course be desirable...

What you might want to use for that is a "KoDataTool".
A KOffice "data tool" is some sort of a plugin, that integrates some piece
of external code (your own) with a koffice application, automatically creating
an entry in the popup menu for it, and letting the tool modify a piece of text
(in your case, inserting text). Might be not completely possible yet (it was
designed with spellcheck in mind...), but shouldn't require too much extension.

See koffice/lib/kofficecore/koDataTool.h. The KSpellConfig pointer there
is a mistake, I have notified Laurent about it.

Currently the only tool is the spell checker tool (koffice/tools), and it's only
used by KSpread (KSpreadView::slotActivateTool, kspread_view.cc).

You might want to discuss this on koffice-devel in the future :-)