List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Advice needed: Data bases and KOffice integration for literature management program
From:       Moritz Moeller-Herrmann <mmh () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-02-28 18:10:48

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 12:43:52PM +1300, Pascal A. Niklaus wrote:
>Hi everybody,

>I intend to write a KDE application for the management and citation of
>scientific papers. It should have a functionality similar to the EndNote
>program under Windows (see www.endnote.com), and integrate into KWord.
>BiBTeX does that under TeX, but I would like to develop something similar
>for KWord... The program should be written for KDE2 in C++.

Have you investigated joining the pybliographer project? This is the best
(IMHO) literature database for linux at the moment. It is based on python and
C.

Unfortunately the (independently usable) GUI is for gnome-python. So maybe you
could port the GUI it to QT-Python or VeePee or KDE-Python.  At the very least,
you could look at the impressive work that has been done already there.

Please look at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pybliographer/

>I am experienced in programming under Win32, but only recently switched to
>Linux/KDE... I therefore would very much appreciate any advice related to
>the following issues:

>1) Data base to use:
>The literature records should be stored in a data base rather that in a
>plain text file as for example BiBTeX does. What data base should I use? I
>think the application should deal with typically a few thousand to ten
>thousands of records (each consisting of authors, publication years,
>abstract, keywords etc...), and allow full text searches. Is there a data
>base which is easy to integrate into C++ programs, or some object for
>interfacing with a suitable external data base?

Pybliographer is at the moment a simple bibtex frontend, but it can import
other formats. There has been talk of a major rewrite along the lines you are
investigating. (XML format, database...)

>2) KWord integration:
>The program should ideally integrate into KWord. The way such a program is
>used is that, during writing of a text, the user looks up the data base for
>articles to cite, selects some of them, and then somehow pastes the
>selected citations into the text being written. The citations are first
>stored as a kind of special field, and converted to the desired format once
>the text is written. The format depends on the journal the text is written for.
>A minimal solution would be to paste plain text codes into the KWord
>document, and to parse the XML document KWord generates and to replace the
>text codes by the formatted citations. However, a *real* integration would
>of course be desirable...

Sounds cool.

>Thank you for your advice related to this project...

Definetely ask on the Mailing list for assistance or a possible merger. Nobody
needs several half-finished literature databases.....

Moritz Moeller-Herrmann ICQ #3585990