List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: WinWord and *.doc
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-02-22 21:46:36

On Thursday 22 February 2001 20:03, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Actually the night I commited this David, Carsten and I talked about this and
> it seems there is no easy way. But I think, the right place to fix it is
> kofficecore and maybe we need to provide a hook in the file dialog.

I don't quite agree here. This problem isn't KOffice-specific at all.

> But konqueror doesn't need the Pattern, so it's the File dialog that needs a
> chance.

It needs to recognize files from their mimetypes, EITHER from the extension
OR from the contents (KMimeMagic), just like konqueror does.

> But we didn't want mimetype checking first because it makes the
> use of the file dialog either strange or slow.

If a filter is set (show me all the MSWord files), then the file dialog should
be able to show everything that qualifies as one, whether from its extension
or from its contents.

Many people asked me "why does KDE reproduce Window's mistake
of basing everything on extensions?". When I answer that Konqueror doesn't,
they are right when they answer that KFileDialog does. If you want KWord
to load your document, you NEED to call it .kwd. Not quite user friendly.

Why does that make the use of the file dialog strange ? The filter combo
could show mimetype (comment, not internal name)+pattern (extensions).
The app would supply that of course (new API call, or simply new filter
syntax). Slow ? That's the price to pay for mimetype filtering (but note that
you can start showing the items that match the mimetype as soon as you
know it).