List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Rationalising millimetres/points/inches
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-02-22 20:32:42

On Thursday 22 February 2001 18:24, Lennart Kudling wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2001 18:14, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > David Faure wrote:
> > > Since I was just wondering about this same problem, I found this old mail
> > > in my koffice-devel mailbox :

> I assume s/point/pixel/ is meant.

Certainly not. Storing pixels is the right way to have all sorts of problems
when changing DPI (and even zoom if you really talk about the pixels you see :)

Wait. This isn't about graphic programs, this is about KWord and KPresenter,
i.e. vectorial graphics. Not pixel-based graphics :)

> Random noise:
> a) Dont you give up qpainter's device-independence with rounding to pixels ?
> b) At least in a vector app one should store the whole precision. Just think
> of rotating/scaling beziers which build a circle.

We want to store pt values with quite a good precision.

> > > Therefore I would suggest that mm is the base unit - that one is
> > > independent from any DPI settings.
> >
> > Well... as independant as pt/in :)
>
> But with 3 times less precision.

Depends on how many decimals you choose to keep :)

> Why not store pt and just think about dpi for calculating the zoom-factor ?

That's the plan now :)