List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord status
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2001-02-11 19:23:24

I just wanted to add a couple of notes to the discussion on the kword file
format.

First, Thomas is right in that the tags are expected to remain stable over
several (many?) versions of kword. However,we all know it is not perfect.
That's why there is a syntaxVersion marker.

If the tags ever change in an incompatible version, any export filter can
read syntaxVersion to test for this. And any import filter can set
syntaxVersion to the version it wants.

As to the specific reason for the overloaded FORMAT for anchors? It is not
pure foolishness on my part (:-)). One day, kword will be able to highlight
URLs in its body (and then the length will be explicitly non-zero). And then
the reason for making it a format tag will be obvious.