List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    RE: KWord status
From:       Nicolas GOUTTE <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-02-09 21:54:14

I do not intend to make anybody angry, to offence anybody or to make
anybody feel personnaly attacked but I would like to say a few things about
the current situation of KWord.

It is not good that the application that many people considers the most
important one (or that they await the most) in the whole KDE project is in
such a uncertain state.

1. File formats
It would help if the work around KWord's core could still be continued in
the meantime. When the new KWord will be ready, most of what is needed
beside it would be there already. So it would save time until a stable
KWord exists.

To achieve that filters work with the new KWord and that new developers
feel welcome to KWord's world, I think that a few things are needed in
particularly on the level of KWord's file format:
- How does the new file format of KWord look likes (I am not naive enough
to think it would stay the same!)
- Don't design the file format after the application's code! It's the way
you always get permanent problems! Design a file format, then code for it!
- Stay as much as possible with standardized file formats (or at least
close to them). It would help (new) developers to understand KWord's file
format. May be they have even used this file format somewhere else! In case
of KWord, it means XHTML for the text (not HTML, as it is not XML) and CSS2
as style sheet (should be enough even to cover the DTP mode!) Not enough?
Then use a own (XML-)namespace for KWord and add things to XHTML. (Cf.
http://wwww.w3c.org)
- See what other file formats do. For example, Microsoft Word (native or
RTF) and AbiWord needs sections, where you can have different number of
columns in each section. How do you do that in KWord? How do you make a
forced line break, a forced column break, a forced page break? (I mean in
the file format, *not* in the application!)
- Document every tag used in KWord. (No surprise as with <HRDBREAK>, which
is currently not in KWord's DTD)
- Avoid tags that can represent many things at the same time. (Why is an
anchor a <FORMAT> in KWord?)
- In one word, please think also about filter developers and don't make a
file format that is just good for (one version of) KWord!

2. External style sheets
Personnaly I dislike to take out the style sheet from the document. I
understand why HTML/XHTML does it but I do not understand why KWord should
do so. And if you do, please use CSS2 (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2 is the
latest version). XML is make to mix things together, not to separate
things!
<OFFTOPIC> In my opinion even the tar stuff in KOffice could be replaced by
XML namespaces. However gzip is fine! However I think that this is work for
way later! </OFFTOPIC>

3. KWord in general.
Many (potential) users awaits an application like the old word processing
application they have used. Care should be taken not to break this too
much. To give a recent example, forbiding users to have double spaces is a
bad behaviour for KWord (even if it looks odd!) (And filter developer
cannot do miracles. For example tabulators do not exists in HTML!)

4. Depreciated Files
Please note in the current CVS which files are depreciated, so every
programmer knows that he/she should not modify anything in it, but a very
serious bug!
On the other side, files whitout it can be modified and the programmer
could be fairly certain that his/her modifications would stay, even after
the change of KWord's core!
Example: at the top of those files add:
// This file is depreciated

5. The End
Sorry if you think that what I have written is rant!