List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KFormula 2
From:       Andrea Rizzi <rizzi () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-06 18:27:37

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, David Faure wrote:

> Great to see some activity on kformula.
>
> Which one is it about ? I see you have committed files to both
> koffice/kformula (the part) and koffice/lib/kformula (the library) ?
>
> I strongly hope you are considering making it at least a library,
> so that the integration within KSpread and especially KWord can
> be lightweight (not one part per formula).
> Of course, having a part around the library is the best way to make
> formulas available in more applications.
> If that's the plan, then the part should be called kformulapart, to end
> the confusion ;-)

Not yet think about this.
We plan to work in the old kformulapart keeping some of its structure and
of its code. The libkformula of kdelibkformula is totally different
structured (in few words the formula is a string parsed(or at least a
part of the string) each time). So we can keep in the koffice/kformula
the library and the part separated but note that this library is totally
different from the one you are actually using in kspread,kword etc.

There are too many problems with libkformula (i.e. koffice/lib/kformula)
structure.
I think we can one day substitute the actual libkformula with one derived
from the kformulapart (in this case we will convert everything of
kformulapart to a libkformula and then we use the library in kformula
part).

I think we cannot modify libkformula now (porting it to the new structure)
because it will break all the koffice apps that rely on it
(kspread,kword..).

Bye
Andrea

Registered Linux User No.71426  |       ***  KDE Project  ***
        Andrea Rizzi		|  http://www.kde.org/
mailto:	Andrea.Rizzi@sns.it    	|  http://www.kde.org/international/italy
	rizzi@cibs.sns.it   	|  Projects: KOffice,KFinger,KTranslator,
	rizzi@kde.org		|  Italian translations teamleader