List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KWord Styles
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-12-02 8:44:55

> Sorry to drop in and probably I'm not really into the topic, but: as some
> know, I'm currently writing my thesis and the bad implementation of styles in
> most word processors is what's causing most trouble, so I just want to loose
> a few words if you're already rethinking the design :)
>
> > The TOC is created by looking at the style for every paragraph and the
> > styles that have the name 'Head something' are used.
> > The 'depth' in the style definition is used to set the style of the
> > generated TOC.
>
> This is implemented dirty in most word processors. The right way I think is:
> the "field" (don't know how it's called in KWord) for TOC has separately
> configurable properties for:
> a) which paragraph styles to base the TOC on (i.e. things like Heading 1 etc.
>    you can even set several styles for ONE depth) and whether to use extra
>    TOC entry fields to create the TOC
> b) which paragraph style to use for showing the TOC, one style for one depth
>    i.e. you'll normally have extra styles: TOC 1, TOC 2, TOC 3 etc. By
>    changing these you can configure the looks of the TOC.

I don't see anything wrong with that, I'll use that.
ps. this does not conflict with what Shaheed put forward ;)

> It's done like this more-or-less in MS Word as well as StarOffice, in
> StarOffice a bit cleaner.
> "TOC entry field" is an (invisible in printout) field that you can insert
> into a paragraph if it doesn't have a heading but should have an entry in the
> TOC anyway. It should have at least three properties: the TOC entry text, the
> depth and an option whether to show the paragraph numbering in the TOC.

I'll keep this for later, but will keep it in mind for the original TOC design.
This kind of field also can be used to have index/footnote/whatever entries..

> > Only styles that have a 'Chapter Numbering' kind of enumeration and
> > off-cource are set to an enumeration type can be used.
>
> This I don't understand. Why?
> -Jost.

Because the chapters that don't have a numbering can not be used for the TOC.
So only styles that are numbered 1, 2, 3, ... or 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, ... etc can be
used to build the TOC.

The extra feature to add TOC-fields in your text can be used to put non-numbered
paragraphs in your TOC. But I think this is used very sporadically.

> P.S. What I miss in styles right now is char styles in addition to paragraph
> styles. MS-Word mixes paragraph styles and char styles, StarOffice cleanly
> separates these two, which I like. It's VERY important to have char styles:
> you need them first for good markup, to assign things like "emphasized". When
> editing the paragraph numbering, one should be able to assign a char style to
> the numbering, because else it is not possible to make the numbering e.g.
> italic etc.

You are going to love the new KWord engine ;)