List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: (no subject)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-11-23 16:35:34

On Thursday 23 November 2000 16:23, Lenny wrote:
> > The "Settings" menu is definitely only for application-dependent things,
> > such as which toolbars should be shown, keybindings, and all sorts of global
> > configuration options.
> >
> > The stuff that applies to the current view is in "View" - no wonder there.
>
> Ok, me again. ;(
>
> Strange, i tried this in KIllu:
> Eg: switch of all Toolbars in Settings and then start a new view. The new
> view shows all Toolbars again.

Nope, not in current CVS.
I implemented auto-saving of toolbar stuff, some time last week.

> But: View->Show Grid and then New View. The new View shows the grid too.

Hmm, ok but I was thinking about the other way round (new view first,
then show grid)... but this example shows a limitation in the toolbar stuff,
where in this case too, it will only apply to the current window. Grmbl.

> Anyhow, how do you know what the users wants ?

Oh, I don't presume to. I'm just pointing out a possible explanation / choice :-)

> Which switch should be global which is for the local view only ?

I think the other dimension we're forgetting is _document_. In fact it's
what I meant, but mixed it up with View. If you edit two very different
documents, one after the other, with the same application (and you
often switch between the two), is it logical to say that you may want
things like ruler, grid and helplines in one document and not in the other ?
And is it sensible to say that for toolbars, it's a more general setting,
that applies to all documents ?
That would be my view on this....

> > If you think that Rulers should be shown/hidden as a global settings, then
> > it should be moved to the Settings menu. But as long as it applies to the current view
> > only (think about the "New View" case - do you want it to apply to both or to
> > just one ? -- I don't have an opinion, I'm just asking :) --), then it should
> > remain in "View".
>
> Actually the big Graphic-apps consider all switches global.

... which probably sucks for the case where you like grid in one
document and not the other - isn't that a common case ?

> Whatever we decide, one thing is very very wrong: mix both modes. That leads to
> confusion (look at me). :)
:-)

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/