List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOffice & theKompany
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-12 23:57:21

Werner Trobin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> As you all know, theKompany supports the KOffice
> development by paying developers helping us. This
> is great and we all are very happy about that.
>
> However, there are a few remaining issues left
> which should be discussed (i.e. Would it be better
> to develop in the KDE CVS? What policy do we need
> concerning changes in the KOffice library? Is there
> any good way to help them/give them feedback/send
> patches/discuss with them if the code is not in the
> KDE CVS? What to do about PR issues? ...).
>
> Therefore Shawn Gordon suggested to meet on IRC and
> sort that out. Right now the meeting is scheduled
> for Sunday at 15:00 GMT (I don't know the server and
> the channel yet, but I'll post this here as soon as
> I know it). There will be some KDE PR people, the
> theKompany developers (including Shawn, of course),
> and hopefully *you*, the KOffice developers.
>
> David: It's not Friday, but I hope we are allowed to
> lower your productivity by inviting you too ;))
>
> --
> Werner Trobin - trobin@kde.org

I won't be able to attend  - have already missed it probably, and don't
even have IRC set up, but....  What could possibly be the problem with
employess of theKompany using Kde cvs like anyone else, on Kde projects
which are part of Kde cvs?  There's no problem I can see.  For anyone to
see a problem is a problem - a false perception.  Treat employees of
theKompany or other commercial concerns exactly like you treat anyone
else who contributes to Kde cvs.

theKompany is also working on projects which could be considered part of
Kde but never have been in Kde cvs, and/or which by agreement of the
authors have been moved to theKompany.  While personally I'd like to see
these projects be a part of Kde cvs, that is a gray area.  If the
projects really are important to Kde and/or KOffice, the should be kept
in Kde, with ample opportunity for theKompany to get good pr from them
or claim primary authorship.  On the other hand, there really seems to
be a BIG problem getting enough people, both coders and doc writers, to
work on KOffice and some of the key apps that are part of the kde cvs.
So beggars can't be choosers.  If theKompany can really get things done
that others can't get done in a timely manner, let them do those things,
within reasonable bounds.  Keeping as much code as possible in Kde cvs
is an enforcer of those bounds.

Regardles of the popularity of Kde and the prestige of the project, and
the fame and fortune accruing to those engaging in this noble venture
(myself excluded), people who are willing to work on it and who can
contriubte something of value are scarce.  Why is this?  Maybe
commercial projects pay more.  Maybe the work REALLY is too hard or
challenging or too aggravating.  Maybe many people are intimidated by
the reputation of the project.  With all the thousands of brilliant
coders and designers out there, it seems strange, though.  Considering
that Kde probably has more users now than MacIntosh, even stranger...

So, if theKompany can gain good pr and make good money - I really don't
want to see it go broke - it will automatically contribute some of that
to Kde, and visa versa.  I sense that Shawn Gordon has a good heart,
despite  some differences of opinion I have had with him, and that
counts.  Let's hope the Kompany can set a good example for others who
might employ people working on free software.  First, though, it must
remain solvent, and too much concern about appearances vis a vis Kde
might be a false concern.  I don't think Troll Tech is overly concerned,
although the connection with Kde is well known and mutually profitable,
so theKompany should follow that example.  Be concerned, but not too
much, about pr and what people think.  The most important thing is
theKompany's own goals to theKompany, and Kde's own goals to Kde, and
TrollTech's to Trolls.

I could say to hell with you all and your phony culture of networking,
beer, IRC, and being under 30. (Well, at least the beer is real). I do
not presently work in "the industry" and will probably never work there
again, being unemployable (over 40).  But I think I'm good enough to
contribute something to Kde, in code and as a spiritual force.  As you
can see from all this, regardless of efforts to brush this under the
rug, as more and more commercial interests get involved there will be an
underlying conflict between those who get paid to work on such projects
and those who don't.  It can't be denied.  No point in dwelling on it
too much, but ignoring the issue won't attract more people to the
project who really ENJOY the work, and are not just looking for career
advancement, although everyone would like to get paid and must either
beg or earn a living.
Obviously, the contribution of those who are not getting paid will be
limited, at least in terms of hours or work put into the project.  It's
a matter of survival.  Actually you do get what you don't pay for, for a
while. But is is also true that what is given freely is considered
worthless, most of the time, by the majority of people.  So, one who
persists in giving freely is regarded as a fool, even in free software
projects.  Groups tend to justify the status quo especially when it is
in their material insterest, and this acts as an exclusionary force.

Taken to its logical conclusion, Kde and other big free software
projects will be developed only by paid employees of companies hoping to
profit from these projects, and the other contributors will gradually
drift away or be subtly given the message to go away because their mere
presence serves as a reminder of what the project once was, in spirit.
I hope it never comes to this, because then Kde will become no different
from any other commercial venture.  There must be a balance between
giving freely and material existence, somehow.  Right now the balance is
good but is seems to be tilting towards the commercial.  It is a
question of keeping balance in one's own life, but also of a sense of
balance and proportion and fair play in the group or team as a whole.
Are these questions to be answered only by outside commercial interests
which sponsor people, or by the project participants themselves?

These are some issues to think about. Best of luck to theKompany. May it
live up to its potential.

John