List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    new KWord
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-11-04 20:53:13

Hi!
As most of you know I'm writing for Qt 3.0 a new richtext drawing and editing
engine and Thomas and me are using this one now for KWord as well. This means
that we finally can kill the format context which turned out to be the wrong
designe and concept for a word processing engine and made it only buggy and
complicated. We are in the process of doing that change in the KWORD_RICHTEXT
branch.

I did start the rewrite of KWPage today, this means I basically ifdefed out
nearly everything else to get basic editing working with the new engine. Now
finally editing and selections with keyboard are working again, mouse editing
of text will be easy to add (will do that now). I'm also now working on
page/frame breaks. Adjusting to page margins works, flowing around something
is easily possible from the design, we only have to implement it using the
existing code we have in KWord. Also all the frame management (moving,
adding, deleting, tables), etc. we have to re-add mostly using the old code,
but that shouldn't be too hard as well.

So, the parts I want to finish this weekend are vertical breaks and all
variations of text editing with mouse and keyboard (icluding undo/redo which
is mostly done by the richtext engine anyway). After that the biggest pain
should be over. Then we can continue re-adding old functinality, rewriting
the parts which were too hacky and removing the unused char.cc, fc.cc, etc.
:-)

If you want to see what is there now checkout the branch. As mentioned
already in other mails, the new engine supports right-to-left and bidi
editing. If you want to see that, remove text.html from the kword dir, and
start kword from that dir. Then it loads bidi.txt. To have it properly
displayed, you need a unicode font set as your application font at the moment
(e.g. tahoma - that is what I'm using).

Ok, while doing all these changes, I think we should also change the file
format of KWord (that is actually the main reason why I write that mail). I'd
like to define a new one which is clean XML, easier to read/parse, etc. Here
I'd really like input from the people writing filters (esp. Shaheed), as they
know best about file formats. But I think it is really worth defining a new
one as the old one was not what I call clean...

--
Reggie (reggie@trolltech.com)