List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-02-02 18:09:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday, February 2, 2011, Pierre Stirnweiss wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:

> What I do care about is that you are basically saying: all the effort you
> put in what was KOffice, all the emotional relation you have with this is
> worthless.
> Nobody cares about it, now go and spend more of your free time
> on what "users" want.

good, so now follow this line of thinking through to its logical conclusion:

the value was not in "koffice" as a name; the value was, and still is, in your
community and your code. it is in your efforts as they relate to the project
itself and the people in it. koffice was then and is now just a name, one that
doesn't  even have significant brand value to it that could somehow be used to
justify a fight over it. where is the real value then?

YOU are the real value of koffice and of calligra. i know you know this
because you're actually saying that in your emails! so why, then are you
allowing yourselves (collectively) to be drawn into actions that only make
sense if KOffice-the-name is the thing of actual value?

see, here's the irony: instead of treating the real value (you and your code)
with respect and care, people are engaging in battles over the symbols. the
struggle over the thing without intrinsic value (the old project name) is
coming at the expense of that which does have intrinsic value: the community,
the projects.

emotionality is leading this community to miscalculate where it is useful to
invest its energy. nobody denies there are high emotions here, but it is time
to stop thinking with those emotions. everyone here ought to take stock of
what really matters and what has real value for you and then start acting in
line with that. go outside an scream at a mountain if you need to (and i think
some of you do :), but come back here and work with only achievement in mind.

i've sat and listened with great sadness to people on all sides of this,
hearing how frustrated and exhausted so many of you are by this. and you know
what? that would all go away if people would shift focus from things with no
intrinsic value to things of real value. exercise some pragmatism and show the
courage needed to press forward in a clear path, ignoring the distractions.

	pay attention to the community, not the symbols of the community.

once that happens, finding reasonable compromise on the remaining issues (such
as putting links on koffice.org where appropriate to apps that have found a
new home in calligra) will become amazingly straight forward, and everyone's
stress levels will drop dramatically just as your sense of fullfilment
increases.

> Would you have said: "people, what KOffice was for you is no more. Try to
> move on. You have better things to spend your energy on, than things which
> are no more". I would have given you a +1.

i've actually said that several times to varous people over the last year, and
it just never got through. there was too much rationalization going on, too
much denial of the real motivational factors, too much thinking with the
heart.

so now i'm on to trying something a bit more "industrial strength". it sucks
(for you and for me), but perhaps it will be more effective.

> This I agree with. This is not what I read in your first post. What I read
> is "what you have spend such amount of energy and emotions on is worthless
> and represents nothing". Not "is no more" or "is in the past", but actually
> "has no real value".

i humbly ask you to excuse the method in my attempt to achieve results. :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se