List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-02-02 13:06:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday, February 2, 2011, Pierre Stirnweiss wrote:
> The statement "KOffice is a brand name that has precisely zero "real world"
> value" is actually expressing your own point of view

show me who would buy it for any significant price due to its value as an
office suite brand. this isn't a mere "point of view", it's a cold fact. you
can wish it to be otherwise, as a way to justify the large amount of valuable
energy and time you've thrown into this current fight, but that doesn't change
reality.

and yes, i know you have put emotional value into "KOffice" as a name. in part
it's because you have all fought so much about so many things that you are
clinging so dearly to this name, if even just as a symbol. but what would you
do with it once you've got it? feel smugly proud that you won something that
nobody else cares about, that has no practical use, and all at the expense of
the health of your community? in exchange for time and energy that you will
never get back? is that a trade you are willing to make? is that a trade you
can afford to make?

and is this what you envision for Calligra? does it embody the spririt of
Calligra as you want it to be? are you actually building Calligra up, or is
this a major distraction to that?

iow, what are your priorities?

keep in mind that there are opportunities that exist right now for Calligra
which won't last forever. they are slowly slipping into the past while you
spend precious resources on this emotional drama.

> Sorry but the emotional
> value I give to something is as "real world" as any other's value.

a drug addict values his drugs. it doesn't justify the value he puts in the
drugs nor does it make the drugs good for him. people can, and do, misplace
value in things.

> is actually what makes me contribute. Negating this personnal emotional
> value is to my mind negating one of the fundament of involvment in Free
> Software.

i'm not negating it. i'm observing that you'd be better off investing that
personal emotional value in something that can offer long term rewards for
you.

> Finnally, "Koffice" is a brand which has no real world value: coming from
> one of the strongest advocate of "KDE is a name referring to the community,
> and not a name reffering to a mere product" sounds odd to me. I am sure you
> didn't mean: "Koffice (as in a community) has no real world value".

i very much do believe that these communities have immense value. but also i
fear that you are flushing your community down the toilet here. you can't be
constantly infighting in KOffice and then claim that KOffice has tremendous
sentimental value because it represents a great community. the KOffice
community is broken and you aren't fixing it with this. Calligra is an
opportunity to not just mend things, but to take things to a whole new level
of goodness.

ironically, you're acting as if Calligra has very little value. if you truely
valued it you'd be engaging with full commitment instead of spending resources
on this struggle.

yes, i know it's because you're emotionally wrapped up in things. so take a
step back, let the overwhelming emotions pass through you and come back to
Calligra with passion and positivity.

i guarantee you that you will be better off investing in building Calligra up
rather than fighting over the pieces that fell apart with KOffice.

> > You are dragging out an issue for no other
> > reason than your own emotional benefit, because nobody other than you
> > cares about who gets to be the next KOffice.
>
> This issue is dragged not for anybody's emotional "benefit" but because of
> the emotional weight attached to this.

that is the tragedy, isn't it? it isn't to anyone's benefit (emotional or
otherwise) yet you all insist on doing it. stop hurting yourselves and those
around you; start looking to what it will take to make the future of your
projects and communities truly bright.

what is more important: this battle or the health of your community a year, 2
years, 5 years from now?

> It wastes time, energy, even electricity, I agree. Is it really that bad?

yes, it really is that bad.

you are risking the future health of your project. you are wasting energy that
could be plowed into making your projects into the best apps in f/oss, instead
putting that energy into a hole where you can never get it back. you are
chasing people away from your project at a moment when there is/was a good
amount of positivity being built up around it.

you are trading things of value for things of pain.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se