List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice
From:       Pierre Stirnweiss <pstirnweiss () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-02-02 10:59:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> Dear people of "Group B",
>
> Your chosen group naming system is not only abstract and meaningless to
> anyone
> who isn't in your clique, it does rather little more than to make you
> appear
> non-serious and petty to people on the outside. Why is that? Because it
> can't
> be taken serious and it is, ultimately, petty.
>
> As someone who wishes all the best for Calligra and KOffice both, I wish
> you
> to put aside your emotional issues and move on with your projects.
> Prioritize
> your goals over your anger and feelings of betrayal, well earned though
> they
> may be.
>
> Let's be honest with each other here: rather than just getting down to work
> you are squabbling over the word "KOffice" which is a brand name that has
> precisely zero real world value.

Well Aaron, as much as I like reading blog posts from you and am usually
quite on par with your ideas, here I feel like I cannot follow you on that
one.
The statement "KOffice is a brand name that has precisely zero "real world"
value" is actually expressing your own point of view. It might be shared by
99.99 % of the people, it is still a "personnal" point of view, which is
quite different to a universal truth.
Furthemore, it seems you are reducing the "real world value" to "a
commercial value" or  to "a value for others". Sorry but the emotional value
I give to something is as "real world" as any other's value. This is
especially true in the Free Software world because personnal emmotional
value, personnal emmotional involvment is what makes a lot (most?) of the
Free Software contributors actually spend their free time contributing. It
is actually what makes me contribute. Negating this personnal emotional
value is to my mind negating one of the fundament of involvment in Free
Software.
Finnally, "Koffice" is a brand which has no real world value: coming from
one of the strongest advocate of "KDE is a name referring to the community,
and not a name reffering to a mere product" sounds odd to me. I am sure you
didn't mean: "Koffice (as in a community) has no real world value".
Nevertheless, you can't on one hand advocate the moto "in KDE, the name
refers more to the community" and on the other reduce the name "Koffice" to
a mere product nobody cares about, negating the community aspect linked to
that name.

> You are dragging out an issue for no other
> reason than your own emotional benefit, because nobody other than you cares
> about who gets to be the next KOffice.

This issue is dragged not for anybody's emotional "benefit" but because of
the emotional weight attached to this. It wastes time, energy, even
electricity, I agree. Is it really that bad? The inability to just let go
straight away is also what makes us humans and not machines. Some recover
faster, some recover slower. You can't tell somebody who has just lost his
grandfather's watch: "nobody other than you cares, so stop it".
You can't decide bluntly "people, just move on". Especially not since the
splitting process is not complete (ie the name dispute is not settled).

Yes, this whole thing sucks. Yes it is sad when a community splits up. Yes,
I agree, it is everybody's interrest that water flows under the bridge as
soon as possible. However, rationality in an emotionally loaded process is
not something somebody just imposes by decree.

PierreSt.