List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Please review for Kivio shape(stencil) selection docker design
From:       "C. Boemann" <cbo () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2010-10-27 8:31:18

On Wednesday 27 October 2010 05:43:28 Yue Liu wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> The screencast given shows the current state of the shape/stencil
> selector in Kivio. I want to hear your opinions and suggestions about
> it.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rxqLFK6awKWLRttQTZpSGw?feat=directlink
>
> Still many work to do to fully implement it. The filter can be used to
> search for shapes you want, the add button (not implemented yet) is
> designed to install shape collection from web or local shape
> collection files. Right click on the treewidget will show a pop-up
> menu provide expand all, collaspe all, and switch between icon view
> mode and list view mode.
> I also planned advanced features like save shapes from canvas to user
> customized odg collections.
>
> I'll upload the code after the community split issue is solved.

I think it looks good. I don't have that much experience with diagramming
software, but to me it sounds like the right choice to have an always expanded
docker, and not like the "add shape" where you would need an extra click every
time, as i sense that diagramming is a lot about adding lots of shapes.

And I also like that you have not gone for a ZUI which has loads of usabillity
problems. Your chosen widget, has some of the same problems, because it
doesn't allow more than one category to be open at a time. But at least the
categories are always visible.

Oh and also welcome as the Kivio maintainer :)