List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/plugins/textshape
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-09-21 19:32:04

On Tuesday 21. September 2010 20.41.36 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Thursday 16 September 2010, zander@kde.org wrote:
> > I disagree; this should have been disabled for the beta already as it
> > makes no  sense to get bugreports for a component you know is not
> > working and unfinished.
>
> The problem here is that with such thinking, we should not have released
> koffice 2.0, many of its application in 2.1 and probably 2.2 as well. We
> make beta releases to get feedback.

Remember that we didn't release 2.0 for any users at all. We didn't release
plainly unfinished applications in 2.1 (kexi) and 2.2 (kivio).
Also you yourself suggested on various occasions to only integrate a new
feature when its done.
Bottom line is that I don't follow your argument and as such have not seen any
reason to change my mind.
Code like the ToC recalculation is something that is very unfinished (if you
have a different margin, it generates garbage already) and should never have
been integrated.
I can remove it from SVN again as I committed it in the first place, if you guys
feel more comfortable with that.

> As anyone else any thought on the subject ? For now, two persons are in
> favor of deciding what is shipped or not before RC (with a list of issues
> that need to be solved and should be written before that), one person
> think it should have been done before beta.

I like the suggestion for more opinions; more people can probably give more
views on the topic that I may or may not have thought about.

I guess its fair to point out that (since this mail is a reply to a commit of
mine) for the parts that I maintain this is not an open vote. ;)

I'm naturally in favour of disabling the vector shape in all koffice apps and not
just in KWord because of the reasons I stated before, but thats up to the other
app maintainers, I guess.
Also I'm slightly confused; we already released the beta so the choice of
"before beta or before RC" is already decided; why continue discussing it?

--
Thomas Zander