List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/plugins/textshape
From:       Inge Wallin <inge () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2010-09-16 11:24:43

On Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:22:15 zander@kde.org wrote:
> On Wednesday 15. September 2010 13.02.19 Cyrille Berger wrote:

> > > I think it is much too early to disable features.  There is still 1.5
> > > months left of the bug fixing period.
> > >
> > > Let's revisit the disabling of features 1-2 weeks before the final
> > > release, and in a structured way after a community discussion.  In
> > > fact, I think this step should be included in the release process that
> > > now contains freezes, alpha/beta releases and RC's.
> >
> > I agree, I would suggest we do that between 13th to 20th October, after
> > the two betas. If there is no objection, I will add this to the list. It
> > does not prevent people to work on quality control, and add RC bugs
> > concerning those components to bugzilla, or simply add a note to [1],
> > mentionning that the component fails in some way and need to be fixed or
> > disabled (for instance, "vector shape" cannot save and should not be
> > enabled by default in kword).
>
> I disagree; this should have been disabled for the beta already as it makes
> no sense to get bugreports for a component you *know* is not working and
> unfinished.
> I have plenty of bugreports thank you, no need to get stuff that I have to
> tell the reporters I want to close, but they object to me closing it until
> its actually fixed etc.  Its just messy.
>
> I was a bit surprised by the beta, certainly my own fault for not checking
> the schedule but there you have it.
> I still need to disable frame outlines, for instance and my focus goes to
> getting pagespreads saving properly, but if that fails I'll have to disable
> it too. In previous releases I disabled some known-to-not-work scripts and
> the shapes docker and multi-language spell checking too.
>
> In general I'd say we had 6 months already and the stuff disabled now has
> little to no chance of being finished if it wasn't worked on at all in
> those 6 months, and we can always enable stuff again if we get surprised
> :) I just don't want the bugreports for stuff thats obviously unfinished.

What you are overlooking is the dynamics of the development cycle.  Before the
feature freeze, everybody is busy getting new things in.  After the feature
freeze, they can't do that any more so they switch to finishing up, bugfixing
and polishing.

That dynamic is exactly the opposite of what you sketch out above.  I am
willing to wager that several things will get fixed in the next month that you
don't think will get fixed just because of this dynamic.  The development
after the freeze is very much not the same as before.

And regarding bug reports: Bugreports can be valuable even for components that
you know are buggy or unfinished.  I don't think you know all the bugs just
because you know a few of them (plural "you" here, not you personally).