List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/plugins/textshape
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2010-09-16 9:22:15

On Wednesday 15. September 2010 13.02.19 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 September 2010, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > On Sunday, September 12, 2010 22:56:09 Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > SVN commit 1174570 by zander:
> > >
> > > Disable re-generation of ToC
> > >
> > > This new feature ended up in trunk before it was finished, a bit
> > > regrettable but for now just disable it which is better than
> > > reverting.
> >
> > I think it is much too early to disable features.  There is still 1.5
> > months left of the bug fixing period.
> >
> > Let's revisit the disabling of features 1-2 weeks before the final
> > release, and in a structured way after a community discussion.  In fact,
> > I think this step should be included in the release process that now
> > contains freezes, alpha/beta releases and RC's.
>
> I agree, I would suggest we do that between 13th to 20th October, after the
> two betas. If there is no objection, I will add this to the list. It does
> not prevent people to work on quality control, and add RC bugs concerning
> those components to bugzilla, or simply add a note to [1], mentionning
> that the component fails in some way and need to be fixed or disabled (for
> instance, "vector shape" cannot save and should not be enabled by default
> in kword).

I disagree; this should have been disabled for the beta already as it makes no
sense to get bugreports for a component you *know* is not working and
unfinished.
I have plenty of bugreports thank you, no need to get stuff that I have to tell
the reporters I want to close, but they object to me closing it until its
actually fixed etc.  Its just messy.

I was a bit surprised by the beta, certainly my own fault for not checking the
schedule but there you have it.
I still need to disable frame outlines, for instance and my focus goes to
getting pagespreads saving properly, but if that fails I'll have to disable it
too. In previous releases I disabled some known-to-not-work scripts and the
shapes docker and multi-language spell checking too.

In general I'd say we had 6 months already and the stuff disabled now has
little to no chance of being finished if it wasn't worked on at all in those 6
months, and we can always enable stuff again if we get surprised :)
I just don't want the bugreports for stuff thats obviously unfinished.
--
Thomas Zander