List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability Topics
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-08-29 8:22:38

On Sunday 29. August 2010 07.04.48 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> > So, new suggestion:
> > - If the user clicks the Whatever-Tool (we should at least find a working
> > title soon), the "styles" docker is automatically displayed.
>
> How about a styles tool as working title.

The word 'style' has no connotation to coloring in my mind. Styles in KWord
(1.x) were for text, for tables, for pages and indeed also for shapes.
I would go for something with color in the name and avoid the word 'styles'
How about; "Colors Tool" with as tooltip "Set shape colors, gradients and
patterns"

> > - The docker can also be displayed manually.
> > - We can decide application by application if we display the docker by
> > default or not, depending on how often it is used in that application.
> > - When the user clicks "gradient" or "pattern" in the docker, the tool is
> > automatically activated and the user can modify the gradient or pattern.
> > When the user hits "Esc", selection mode is activated.
> >
> > Would that be technically possible?

I was hoping Thorsten would comment on this question; the "is it technically
possible".

We still have a lot of issues with docker placements and stuff dissapears and
doesn't appear at the right location etc. So I'm having some doubts if the
suggestion can be done in a nice way; how would a tool find a docker instance
and show it if its not visible and position it at a nice location?
In short; I am not convinced its technically possible and since you (Thorsten)
didn't answer that question I'd like to know if thats because you do see the
solution I don't see, or if you didn't think about it.

If we want to find a volunteer to code this we should find a suggestion that
doesn't require research into docker placement etc. Don't you agree?
--
Thomas Zander