List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability Topics
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2010-08-26 12:11:21

On Thursday 26. August 2010 10.55.13 Thorsten Zachmann wrote:
> On Thursday 26 August 2010 10:01:14 zander@kde.org wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25. August 2010 21.02.58 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > So unless we find a more elegant way to allow users to easily switch
> > > between  setting background colors, gradients or patterns than having
> > > them all in a tool, I clearly prefer that over the current situation.
> >
> > Cool, I think this can be called the consensus and that we can find some
> > time or a volunteer to write such a tool soon :)
>
> I can't see how we came to a consensus yet.

All the raised points have been addressed and various people agreed on one
solution that our usability expert suggested.

> I think there is still a lot to
> think about and as Boudewijn said all the dockers and tools need to be
> taken into account there.

I read the mail from Thomas P. to address this quite adequately; was there
anything unclear?
Most of KOffice has been designed by developers, in this specific case several
different ones that each solved their own problem in different applications. I
think its quite important to value the fresh perspective from Thomas Pfeiffer
and avoid discussions that most engineers love but a volunteer usability
person might find a bit much.

> E.g. the line docker is also a docker and not a
> tool so e.g. why should the styles docker not a docker as it is now.

This looks like a new topic and only partly related.

What about we get someone create a new docker by copying the code for the 3
different tools and the docker and put them in one nice docker as Thomas P.
outlined.  This means no current functionality is removed.
When the tool is functional and usability reviewed we can choose to remove the
old tools and replace it with the new and better one.
If its not better, its not done yet.

Casper; are you still interested in working on this?
--
Thomas Zander