List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability Topics
From:       "C. Boemann" <cbo () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2010-08-22 13:53:44

On Sunday 22 August 2010 15:28:02 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Well since we like to manipulate manythings directly with the mouse, that
> > would exclude most dockers that are only dockers. (fine with me)
>
> Any tool that does nothing but display a docker should not be a tool.
Hmm, yes but when it comes down to it many many things benefit from direct
manipulation. Anyway as principle I agree.

> > I'd propose to get rid of the styles docker and only have a styles-tool
> > (with accompanying dockers) instead. I'd call this tool Background tool.
>
> Yes, this sounds like a good idea. Though setting the border style with the
> some tool does seem to make sense to me, so maybe we should use a different
> name.
Ah yes true. That was even part of my plan too (note in odf a shape can have
more than one border)
I could remember that there was a reason I had gone away from that name, but
when I wrote this mail I just couldn't remember and so just said Background
tool. I think i was contemplating naming it Coloring tool at one point.
Paiting tool is something else, and styles tool is to generic. Not that I'm
that attached to coloring tool either.

> So what about this:
>
> There is a WhateverWeWillCallIt tool which opens the a docker with the same
> functionality as the current styles docker. If "Gradient" is selected, the
> gradient-related dockers appear directly below it (they currently don't
> necessarily do) and the cursor changes to the gradient editing mode. If
> "Pattern" is selected, the pattern dockers appear and the cursor changes to
> gradient editing mode. Since they are mutually exclusive, this should not
> be a problem.
Sounds good to me. Obviously the exact layout of those dockers need to be
worked on.