List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Usability Topics
From:       "C. Boemann" <cbo () boemann ! dk>
Date:       2010-08-22 10:47:50

On Sunday 22 August 2010 12:39:15 Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Saturday 21. August 2010 20.08.32 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > now that I was welcomed again warmly, I am eager to start working with
> > you.
>
> Belayed welcome from me too :)
>
> > First of all, we need to identify the topics/issues we will work on. If
> > there  are some which you have already identified but not found a
> > solution for yet, please tell me about them and who will be the ideal
> > people to discuss them with.
>
> One thing that has been bugging me (and from questions on IRC / mail and
> real life, not just me) is the topic of how to set a shape background.
> There currently is a tool to set a gradient and something else to set a
> patterned background. I'm not entirely clear how to set a solid background
> color myself...
> What would be very welcome is if you can take a look at the problem of how
> to set a background to one or more shapes.
> One thing often forgotten is that the user should also have the ability to
> set a transparant background (i.e. remove whats there).
>
> Next to this is the problem that KPresenter and KWord can have a background
> for a slide or page. Technically this is also a shape, but the user can't
> select that shape so I am not sure how to make the association of the user
> settings to be for the slide/page background.
>

> Maybe you can make a design proposal that we can find a volunteer to
> implement, this project would be much easier to do in a plugin and as such
> its something that can be experimented with easier by anyone that may or
> may not be an existing KOffice contributor.
Related to this suggestion for a topic I'd like to suggest to look into the
idea of uniting the gradient,pattern and solid background in a single tool. I
know from talking to artist that this is something they would like.

The different types of background are mutually exclusive and thus in my mind
would be best served by a single tool.

I actually got an okay to do this from the last Karbon maintainer, but now
that we have you on board and with Thomas' suggestion to look into this area
it would be nice to analyze it from a usability point of view.
best regards

Oh and welcome from me too. :)

Best regards
Casper