List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: design discusion: using QtXmlStreamReader instead of KoXmlReader
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-08-10 11:34:46

On Tuesday 10 August 2010, Jos van den Oever wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In Qt 4.3, QtXmlStreamReader was introduced. It is an XML Pull Parser (XPP),
> which is a type of parser that makes it easier to do piecemeal parsing of an
> incoming stream.
>
> It is faster than QtXmlReader and might let us use less KoXmlElements which
> would save memory while parsing.
>
> I'm looking into doing this conversion, probably by first removing all use of
> QtXmlReader and then looking replacing calls like these
> loadOdf(const KoXmlElement &element)
> with
> loadOdf(QtXmlStreamReader& reader)
> where the reader is positioned at the start of an element.
>
> This is a huge task and I'd like to not endeavor on it without helpful hints,
> so if you have warnings, good advice,  or comforting words, I'd like to hear
> them now.

I'm very interested in seeing the results, since KoXMLReader is very much optimized \
for limiting memory consumption. If you lead the way, I'll help out after I've \
finished my current task.

(And though I think KoXmlReader is _very_ impressive, I think it will be good for \
maintainability if we can drop it. It's very hairy code full of warnings for the \
unaware.)