List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    design discusion: using QtXmlStreamReader instead of KoXmlReader
From:       Jos van den Oever <jos.van.den.oever () kogmbh ! com>
Date:       2010-08-10 11:33:35

Hi all,

In Qt 4.3, QtXmlStreamReader was introduced. It is an XML Pull Parser (XPP),
which is a type of parser that makes it easier to do piecemeal parsing of an
incoming stream.

It is faster than QtXmlReader and might let us use less KoXmlElements which
would save memory while parsing.

I'm looking into doing this conversion, probably by first removing all use of
QtXmlReader and then looking replacing calls like these
  loadOdf(const KoXmlElement &element)
with
  loadOdf(QtXmlStreamReader& reader)
where the reader is positioned at the start of an element.

This is a huge task and I'd like to not endeavor on it without helpful hints,
so if you have warnings, good advice,  or comforting words, I'd like to hear
them now.

Cheers,
Jos

--