List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: New shape is comming: CommentShape
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2010-07-22 7:55:30

On Thursday 22 July 2010, Carlos Licea wrote:
> List,
>
> I've just commited a new shape: CommentShape. It is a shape that represents
> a comment inside a presentation. So far I'm happy with the results, but I
> have a few questions:
> ->Right now it lives in plugins/ but I wonder if, given that is KPresenter
> specific, we should rename it to KPrCommentShape and move it inside
> KPresenter.

I think that would be a good move.

> ->Is just not using background() and border() the proper way to ignore
> those settings?

Thas something to test, but I think so, yes.

> ->How can I make the shape not re-sizable but fully movable? right now
> there's geometryProtected but it packages both properties, which is not
> desirable for my use case. (This point is important.
> What I did, for now, is just ignore setSize();

That's the right way, I think.

> ->How can I stop the text-on-shape from picking up the text:p? (This point
> is *very* important.)

Erm. This is a problem. I haven't got a solution yet, though I do know that
the text-on-shape thing has caused another problem as well: connections are
broken now. Thorsten has more details. I'm also not really motivated to
investigate the text-on-shape loading code, to be honest.

> ->How can I hide the comments and only make them visible while on a (yet to
> be commited) Comment Mode (tool)? is traversing the Shapes' tree and
> setting its visible property the proper way to do it?

That sounds weird -- basically, you activate a tool by selecting a shape. If
the shape is invisible, you cannot select it to activate the tool :-). What
you can do is display a small placeholder icon at all times (except in
presentation mode) and on clicking that activate the comment tool. Would that
work?

> ->I'm thinking into bundling a text shape that would only be painted when
> the user clicks the main CommentShape. Is this right given that this is a
> shape and not a container shape? are there other solutions?

No clue, sorry -- I haven't investigated your code yet.

> ->Finally, how should I stop the user from inserting a comment while not in
> Comment Mode (is this desirable?, if not how the interaction should be,
> allow the addition of the comment and hide it as soon as it loses focus?)

If it's a shape, put it in the kpresenter shape docker and allow the user to
drag and drop the comment shape. When it lands in the document, the comment
tool would be activated.